Bayou

Bayou

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Twas The Night Before Summer School

Please enjoy this attempt at poetry:

Twas' the night before summer school, when all through the dorm
Not a corp member was stirring, not even to discuss a class norm;
The lesson plans were tucked in binders with care,
In hopes that students would soon be there.

The new teachers were nestled all snug in their beds,
While vision statements danced in their heads;
The corp members in their caps,
Had just settled down for all too short naps.

When out on the quad their arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew in a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear,
A crowd of staff members who with enthusiasm did cheer,

"Now, Eastern North Carolina! Now Arkansas! Now Appalachia!
On Mississippi! On South Louisiana! On Louisiana Delta!
To math and English and science, To the students big and small,
Now teach away! teach away! teach away all!"

They sprang to the buses, to their teams they gave a whistle,
And away they all shot, away like a missile.
But I heard them exclaim, ere they drove out of sight,
"Happy first day of school to all, and to all a good night!"


>>>

Weekly Gratitude: I'm super grateful to have an awesome CMA (corps member advisor) who always answers our questions, brings us candy, and believes in us!

Challenge: I reassess my conception of exhaustion every single day. And I'm sure it will only get harder from here.

Quote of the Week: "A ship is safe in harbor, but that is not what ships are for." -William G.T. Shedd

Jamming To: "Once I've Done It" by April Geesbreght

Mississippi Fun Fact: Barq's Root Beer was invented in Mississippi in 1898.



No comments:

Post a Comment