Bayou

Bayou

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Induction Update

I'm finally settled in at Delta State and I have a little time to catalog my thoughts. I moved in on Friday and over the last few days have been traveling the state and getting to know both Mississippi and a small group of my fellow corp members on a trip called the Justice Journey. Justice Journey was a remarkable and rewarding experience and has energized me to get through the next six weeks.

Today has been busy, too, with other Mississippi corp members moving into the dorms and the start of Induction and a lot of things are running through my mind. Induction is a three day program before Institute where we come together as a regional corps to learn about Mississippi and the unique history of education in the state. Following Induction we have a multi-regional Institute that lasts for five weeks. During this time I will be student teaching in the morning and attending educational sessions in the afternoons and evenings. I have been promised over and over again that I won't know what tired really feels like until Institute.

In all honesty, I'm feeling a lot of things right now. I'm exhausted from a day of running around and helping another corp member move in. I'm nervous about the six weeks ahead of me and the two years that will come after that. I'm excited to meet new people and make new friends. I'm relieved to be settled in. But above all I'm eager. I'm eager to get to work.

The work TFA is doing in Mississippi is important, but it is also demanding, challenging. With that in mind, I may not ever really be ready to get started, but I am no longer content to simply sit and wait. After all, if not me, who? If not now, when?

No comments:

Post a Comment